colour-yourlife





Brief introduction
Hello to you there :D I’m Ashlyn, a year 1 student pursing a Diploma in Business and Social Enterprise (BZSE) at Ngee Ann Polytechnic. In this blog, I will share with you about BZSE and my experiences in this course. I hope that through these information and reflections, it would help you find the change-maker in you and it would probably be a stepping stone for you to be part of NP’S BZSE.
Disclaimer
This blog is not an official website for BZSE but one for me to share my thoughts with you.
If you have any questions, feel free to leave me a tag! ♥
people were here ♥


Friday, July 16, 2010,12:43 AM
My journey into BZSE

My first post would be about how I ended up in BZSE and some of the dilemma I faced which I think most of you are facing now, or in the near future.

My L1R4 for O levels was 13 and I guess it’s an average score, good enough to get into rather decent courses offered by the various polytechnics. But the problem was this; I wasn’t really good at sciences, seeing that I barely scraped a pass for my pure chemistry, engineering isn’t my cup of tea and I even fail at drawing stickmen so design courses were out of the list, this narrows down my options by a lot to the business courses.

Business courses offered by Ngee Ann Poly were one of the best and nearly everyone I know is in there, so I was really desperate to get a spot there, but the number of courses weren’t enough to fill even half of the 12 options JAE has so kindly provided. As such, I threw in business courses from Singapore Poly but it still wasn’t enough.

Desperate needs calls for desperate measures, seeing Business and Social Enterprise on NP’s website, I just included it in for good measure with the thought of : Come on, I won’t be that unlucky to get into a course that I have no idea what is it about at all. You know what, I’m THAT unlucky.

BZSE was my second last choice, if I couldn't make it in, I'll be in Real Estate now.

These were some of the things that popped out in my head when I receive the shocking news of getting into BZSE, you might find that it’s quite similar to what you are thinking too.
  • Okay, I get the business part but hang on a second, what’s a social enterprise?
  • If it’s “Business”, then why is it in the School of Humanities?
  • So, what are we gonna do in there?
  • Oh great, International Business gets to go Shanghai and I’ll get to go Philippines, just exactly what I wanted *sarcasm*

A doubtful and skeptical me went through the orientation camp and survived just in time for the induction program which gave us a brief introduction of the course. They showed us a video of the Philippines trip the current Year 2s went in December 2009 and at that very moment, my perspective of this weirdo-idk-what-to-expect-from-it course changed 180 degrees. Watching them helping out at the villages, the big smiles on the children’s faces because of the visitors, I had a sudden thought that maybe, this course isn’t that bad afterall!


Now, after 3 months in this course, I found the answers or if not, am on the way to find out the answers to my questions.

Okay, I get the business part but hang on a second, what’s a social enterprise? A social enterprise is a business that helps the marginalized with its profits
If it’s “Business”, then why is it in the School of Humanities? It’s because BZSE is business with a heart and it focuses more on the “heart” than the “business”, also it is not as competitive like the business courses.
So, what are we gonna do in there? We learn more about operating a social enterprise and how to give back to the society.
Oh great, International Business gets to go Shanghai and I’ll get to go Philippines, just exactly what I wanted *sarcasm*. Yeap, just exactly what I wanted like I had thought, just minus the sarcasm. If you were to give me the option to choose between the two countries, I’ll choose Philippines. I’m looking so forward to visit the villages my senior did and I’m disappointed that we’re going Cambodia instead this year):

So that's my story on how I ended up in BZSE♥