colour-yourlife





Brief introduction
Hello to you there :D I’m Ashlyn, a year 1 student pursing a Diploma in Business and Social Enterprise (BZSE) at Ngee Ann Polytechnic. In this blog, I will share with you about BZSE and my experiences in this course. I hope that through these information and reflections, it would help you find the change-maker in you and it would probably be a stepping stone for you to be part of NP’S BZSE.
Disclaimer
This blog is not an official website for BZSE but one for me to share my thoughts with you.
If you have any questions, feel free to leave me a tag! ♥
people were here ♥


Sunday, July 25, 2010,7:21 PM
Dialogue in the Dark


Picture: Dialogue in the Dark

Only a few weeks of our attempts in adapting to the change in surroundings, our lecturer gave us a pleasant surprise by announcing that we would be going for a tour in Dialogue in the Dark during our tutorial class!
Everybody was elated for being able to get out of the classroom and was full of anticipation of how DID is going to be like.

Initially, from what I could infer from the name, I expected it to be us sitting in a pitch dark room and having talks from visually impaired people but lo and behold, it's not. ._.

Instead, it was even better.

With only a blind stick in one hand and a hand of a friend which I had randomly grabbed inside the room, we made our way through Singapore led by our visually impaired guide, visiting the a park, making our way through the bustling city, taking a boat ride down the Singapore River and going to a market where we try to identify the different spices and fruits by touching and smelling it. Nearing the end of the tour, our guide brought us to the Dark Cafe (operated by a visually impaired) where we bought drinks and cookies to snack on while chatting with our guide to know more about his life and difficulties in life as a visually impaired.


It was a life-changing experience for me because I never knew how tough it was to be surviving in this world without your sense of sight and all I had experienced was only blindness for only about 10 minutes. Also, it made me realise how lucky I am to be able to see all the beautiful things in the world because I never had to deal with the physical and mental difficulties that a visually impaired person faces.